Want an quick and yummy meal that you can have on the table in under 20 minutes? I've got it for you!
On the menu for tonight:
On the menu for tonight:
Penne Pasta with Chicken & Herbed Cream
This was inspired be my mom's delish version with shrimp. My step-daughter, Kelsey, is allergic to shrimp and I also didn't have parmesan cheese, so I had to change it up a bit. No worries though, cause it came out tasting pretty darned good!
As with my other recipes, I recommend going through all of the instructions and pics before you get started.
- 1 box of penne pasta
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless, boneless (mine had the bone...)
- 2 tbls butter
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tsp dried, crushed basil
- 1 can Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, Garlic flavored
- 1/2 pint (or 1 cup) of heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 C of Sharp Cheddar cheese (I have to admit, I did not measure this!)
- In a large pot, put water to boil on high and salt to taste. Once boiling, add pasta and cook according to box instructions.
- For the chicken, try to take off as much of the fat as you possibly can. Cube into small, bite sized pieces.
- In a pre-heated skillet (med/high) add about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and add your cubed chicken. Cook for about 7 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a separate pot, on medium heat, place your butter. Once melted, lower heat to med/low and add garlic.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Watch it well, you don't want the garlic to burn.
- Add basil, stir, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, stir, and then add garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Once mixed thoroughly, add shredded cheese and mix well.
- Cook for another 2 minutes or until you see thickening and then add the cooked and strained penne pasta.
|All the ingredients minus the garlic salt.|
|Chicken before removing excess fat.|
|There is still a bit of fat, but as you can see in the next picture...|
|...I did get quite a bit off. Gross, I know!|
|Chicken, cubed up.|
|Skillet with a little bit of olive oil.|
|Happy sizzle dance!|
|Cooked chicken. Set aside.|
|Now, for the sauce. Butter and crushed garlic.|
|Can you smell it?!|
|After two minutes, add crushed, dried basil.|
|Watch it well. My garlic browned a little more than I would have liked. Mia "informed" me that Zoe needed a diapy change at this moment... :/|
|Add your can of diced tomatoes. This flavor was really yummy.|
|Loved the roasted tomatoes!|
|Add the heavy cream,|
|...and your garlic salt and pepper to taste.|
|Looks oh, so, good!|
|I eyed the measurement on the cheese. This was about 1 1/2 cups.|
|Can you see it thickening up?!|
|Add your chicken & pasta. Mix thoroughly.|