Monday, March 26, 2012

DIY Chalkboard Paint & Chalkboard

How is your Monday going?

Mine has been pretty laid back.  I haven't been feeling well, so I've taken advantage and took {yet another} off day.  I deserve it!  

At least I think I do...

Here is my DIY project for the day:

  

What do you think?

I had a lot of fun doing this project.  It was very easy and very cheap!

I've been eyeing {thanks to Pinterest} a few DIY Chalkboard Paint recipes and DIY Chalkboards for awhile now.  You can check out some of the pins I have on my Crafts Board on Pinterest, but my favorite has to be A Beautiful Mess Blog's take where she used different color paints and also shows how to slate your chalkboard before you write on it.

Here's how it goes.  

You first have to decide what you want to paint!  

I went Goodwill Hunting again this weekend and found these two platters and a mirror.  I got a discount on top of these prices, so my total came out to $4 and change. 


 Now to mix your paint.

Super easy!


Here comes the fun part...PAINTING!  I did 5 thin coats of paint {it dries fairly quickly} and let it dry completely overnight before I slated my chalkboards.


That's it!  Easy peasy!  

I had all of the materials to make the paint {other than the un-sanded grout~my neighbors are renovating their bathroom though, so they hooked me up with that} so the paint was FREE!  That's always nice, right?

Here are the finished projects:



Remember, this is a mirror!  I painted the back of the mirror with the chalk paint, so I can always use it as a mirror again if I choose.  I got that idea from The Diary of Daves Wife.



What do you think?  Created any DIY projects lately?  Tell me all about!

14 comments:

  1. Super easy peasy! And love, love the idea of painting the back of the mirror with chalkboard paint ...

    And I love the look of your blog ...

    Thanks for linking it up!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda!

      Your Linky party was the first one I ever linked to. Hoping to come up with something similar to help get the word out on my blog.

      Thanks for passing by!

      Delete
  2. Sooo easy, thanks so much for all of the info...is that the same recipe as chalk paint...it seems it. Now I'm definitely going to have to try it. Thanks so much for linking up. I'm pinning this!
    (I'm not sure if you know you have word verification on.)
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karah,

      Yes, I do believe it's the same as Chalk Paint. I'm loving how easy it was to do, and all with items that a lot of people already have sitting in their garages! Thanks for sharing on PInterest!

      Oh, and thanks for the word verification...didn't know it was on!

      Delete
  3. Love chalkboards and this is fabulous! I recently did something similar but taped the edges of the platter (when I removed the tape, some of the paint lifted off). Looks like you have a very steady hand!!

    So glad you joined our Cinch party.

    New Linky follower.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly!

      I did go free hand with the paint and surprised myself. I found that the faster I went, the steadier I was. I like the outcome, glad you do to!

      I've been following your blog for awhile now, glad you are following me too.

      Thanks for passing by!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for linking up to the party! I love how your project has turned out! What a great use for old silver trays!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, i love it! What an easy project. I so have to make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! It was very easy and fun. I used it in my Easter decor this weekend as well.

      I passed by your blog and am now your newest follower!

      Delete
  6. Hi Melissa,

    Thanks so much for linking up all your wonderful posts to Creative Thursday. I love this idea. I have always wanted to have something I could write on in the entry to greet friends with.

    I can't wait to see what you bring next week. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    oh and by the way, I'm a new follower and I'm heading over to your link party right now to link up. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got another one in the works for my mom with a platter she found while antiquing. It's super easy.

      Looking forward to seeing you again next week. Hope you are having a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. What kind of paint did you use? Most people say acrylic but I'm trying to paint to walls in my bed room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan! I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner. With the craziness of my move, your message got deleted in my email.

      I used leftover paint that I had used to paint a dresser. It was not acrylic. I think any type of paint should be ok though.

      Have you already made some? Let me know. :)

      {Hugs}

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...