Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring has sprung!



SPRING IS HERE!

Finally! 

While out running errands with the girls yesterday, I had the urge to check out the garden center where we were shopping.  I knew that I had a few pots on the porch back home that had some plants which had not survived the winter months.  They needed to be given some love.  I don't have the greenest thumb ever so I make sure to get plants which are easy to take care of.  

I love having bright, colorful flowers to look at everyday so I decided I wanted impatiens.  I've also been swooning over succulents.  I'd love to test out my gardening skills with them.  I hear they are very easy to take care of as the do not require much watering.  


These are the plants that I ended up choosing.


Impatiens are what I usually gravitate towards when I'm looking for color and ease.


I also like to add some softness to my larger pots.  I do that by getting plants which are delicate and will grow over the side and hang.  I cannot remember the name of this one for the life of me {sorry} but it smells amazing, sort of like basil.


For my succulents, these are the ones I ended up choosing.  




I needed a pot to plant the succulents in, but the store I was in they were way to expensive! I had to think out of the box.  I passed through the dinnerware section and found some nice soup/cereal bowls.  I fell in love with the glaze on the inside and outside of this one and had to have it.  At a little over $3, it was a fraction of the price of the pots in the gardening center.  I'll have my husband drill a hole in the bottom for drainage.  I also found {after looking up succulent care info} that you should place pebbles on the bottom to speed drainage, which I did not do.  Hopefully, once the dirt settles from a few waterings, the glaze will show a bit.


This is the plant food that I use for my plants.  It feeds up to three months, which is great for me since I'm rather scatterbrained!


Here is the before...


...and here is the after!


This was my helper for the afternoon.  Mia helped Mami out while Zoe napped for a little while.


This was the pot in which all of my dead plants were.  I spaced out four impatiens and the "hangy" plant.  Within the next couple of weeks, the impatiens will have filled out and you won't see any of the dirt.  I can't wait to see it overflowing!


The fifth impatien went into the small, glazed, blue pot which is of my favorites.  I bought the glazed pots I have at Ross.  I've seen them in stores like Walmart & Target this small size for $20-$30 and this one cost me under $10.  The larger ones were $15-$20. 


And there you have it!  

I'll post an update in a few weeks so you can see how they've grown.

Now, for a few of my favorite things...

Zoe loves to "help" Mami water the plants by sticking her hands in the stream.  She's always getting soaked!


Dirty little rubber boots.


The sounds of wind chimes make me so happy.  They immediately relax me and bring back fond memories.


This is a Calla Lily plant that Locke got for me last year.  I thought it had died, but I kept taking care of it in hopes that it would grow back.  It did!  It sprouted a few weeks ago and it's first leaf opened up a couple days ago.  I am most happy about this plant right now!

  

 I've had these since last year.  I think one of the reasons I love impatiens so much is because they remind me of Puerto Rico.  You see these everywhere there.  I also love as I said before that they bloom everyday!


This plant reminds me of my best friend, Ashley.  She gave it to me a few months ago.  It was replanted from a cutting and when she brought it to me it was not doing all that well.  We thought it would die, but I babied it and look at her now.  About 8 inches bigger than when Ashley brought it to me!


Last, but definitely not least, is my best Yard Sale find EVER!  The last time that Locke and I ever went junk hunting, we stopped by a house where the family was moving out {literally, they had a U-Haul and were packing it in a hurry} and I think they had actually ended the sale.  They had some things left over though and told us we could look around.  I asked them if this bench was for sale and they said I could have it for $1...yes, ONE DOLLAR!  Locke and I put this sucker into the back of the truck and left happy as can be!  I love my $1 bench!

  
What kind of things are you doing to spruce up your entryway, your house, or your yard for Spring?

I'd like to hear all about it!


2 comments:

  1. $1 bench--You ROCK! We're needing some green love outside. I think that's next week's project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family just wanted to get rid of stuff, they were desperate! I'm surprised they didn't just say take it away.

      I always have fun getting my hands dirty. I won't go too crazy though since we'll be moving in a few months. I'm hoping I'll be able to take all of my potted plants. I will be very sad if I have to give them away...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...