Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blueberry Picking!


Have you ever been blueberry picking?  

I've picked fruits before, but {that I can remember} this was my first time picking blueberries.  We have a small blueberry patch about 1/4 mile from our house.  They opened up for business a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to go ever since.  

The girls and I set up a date with our girlfriends, Rosanna & Livia.  We walked the short distance from my house to the patch where we were greeted by one of the owners who also happens to be a neighbor from my street.  The little ones were handed a bucket each and given instructions {only pick the dark blue/purple ones~not the green} and then we made our way down the aisles.  It took a few times for Zoe to understand she could not pick the green berries.  Did you know blueberries are one of those fruits {native to North America} that do not ripen after they are picked?  

You learn something new everyday.  

In terms of U.S. fruit consumption, blueberries rank only second to strawberries in popularity of berries. Blueberries are not only popular, but also repeatedly ranked in the U.S. diet as having one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings. Antioxidants are essential to optimizing health by helping to combat the free radicals that can damage cellular structures as well as DNA. We recommend enjoying raw blueberries--rather than relying upon blueberries incorporated into baked desserts--because, like other fruits, raw blueberries provide you with the best flavor and the greatest nutritional benefits.


It was a very relaxing morning of picking.  Between the five of us, we picked 2 1/2 pounds of blueberries.  The girls were so well behaved which made it that much more enjoyable!  We all had a lot of fun.









Me, being silly & having fun!  



I think this has to be my favorite photo of the day.




We already ran out,  so I think it's time for another trip to the blueberry patch very soon.

My friend, Rosanna, and I really wanted to make ourselves a treat with our fresh picked blueberries.  Of course we used handy dandy Pinterest to look for some yummy recipes!

They are now pinned to my {Recipe} board.

Blueberry & Peach Cobbler
Recipe courtesy of Mark Bittman

The cobbler was enjoyed of course with some yummy Breyers Vanilla Ice Cream!



I did not take a photo of the next recipe, but I will tell you what...I was one of the most refreshing drinks I have ever had.  I tried it both with and without rum and they were both amazing.  It would make a perfect punch for a spring or summer barbeque.


Blueberry Rum Smash
Photo & Recipe courtesy of The Kitchn.
You HAVE to try this recipe.  

You HAVE to!

Well, that's all for today.  I hope you pass by tomorrow for our second Linky Party.


Can't wait to see what you've come up with!

Have a wonderful day!

See where I party today here.

6 comments:

  1. I love blueberry picking!! I can't wait to take my kids, its one of my greatest memories as a kid. Great post. And blog - I'm your newest follower!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Lindsay! Thank you so much {I'm your newest follower too}! I am looking forward to doing some more picking. We also have strawberries here, but we missed out on that one. We will be moving to Indiana this summer, so I'll have to see what kind of places we can go to there. Looking forward to looking through your blog some more. I love seeing how other mommies with little ones {I have 2 & 3 y/o little girls} go through everyday life doing the things they love along with the rest of our daily lives. {Did that make sense?}

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. OH! I miss blueberry picking! We used to go when we lived in Louisiana, but they don't grow so well in Dallas. :( Thanks for the recipes, though! I'll try 'em with store-bought berries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to miss it when we move to Indiana. Any idea what we'll be able to pick there? Apples?

      The cobbler was good, not the best, but the blueberry rum smash...MY GOODNESS! AMAZING! With and without the rum! Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  3. we love to go picking. blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, you name it. that blueberry rum smash looks so perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kara! Let me know if you try the blueberry smash. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...