Monday, April 30, 2012

How about some "Blondie"?! DIY Newspaper Nail Art

Hello there ladies!

I hope you had a fabulous weekend!  

Ours was pretty nice.  Nothing special.  Well, that's not true.  It was special, because we were together as family.  My parents took Mia & Zoe Friday night, so Locke and I got to sleep in on Saturday.  It was glorious!  

I'll say it again, I have the best parents in the world!  

When Locke and I went over to my parents house on Saturday to pick up the girls, the first thing Mia did was run to me and show me her nails.  Abi {my mom} had painted their nails and piggies and they were oh, so excited.  My mom was cooking us all lunch as I was painting my own nails white.  She was trying to get me to paint polka dots but I wasn't too thrilled with the idea.  I did want to do something though...but what?  




Have you ever seen these nails?


Via
I pinned them awhile ago but had not tried them yet.  My mom brought me the newspaper and had the fabulous idea to look at the comics section!  I thought, what an awesome idea!  I was looking through the different comic strips and decided on one of my favorites, Blondie.

A SMALL WARNING: Do not look at my dry cuticles!!!

To do these, you will need:

  • light colored nail polish {I used white}
  • newspaper comic strip {or maybe just some text}
  • alcohol {my mom didn't have any in her first aid kit so I used 151! }
  • small cup to put in alcohol {I used the nail polish remover cap}
  • scissors
  • clear nail polish


1.
Paint your nails as you would normally.  I did 3 coats.



2.
Pour your alcohol into a small container.  Do not fill too much or it will overflow when you put your finger inside.

3.  
Cut the image or text that you would like to show on your nail.  I cut based on the size of my nail.

4. 
Dip your nail into alcohol for about 5 seconds

5.  
Place image side on your nail and press firmly for about 5-10 seconds.

6.  
Peel paper off of nail and image/text will be on your nail!


  
How cool, right?!


7.
Once all images are placed, it's time for a clear coat.  

BE CAREFUL!  

DO NOT BRUSH THE FIRST COAT OF CLEAR POLISH OR THE IMAGE WILL STREAK!

Try to "dab" the first coat on.  Once the first coat of clear is dry, then you can brush a second coat of clear and you're done!





I love 'em.  I don't think Locke was too crazy about them though!

What do you say?


See where I party Mondays HERE.


Also linked up here today:


Goings on in Texas

38 comments:

  1. That turned out great... nice use of the Sunday comics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! They are not perfect, but they sure are fun! Hopefully next time I can try them without making any streaks. Thanks for passing by!

      Delete
  2. This is really cute! I'll have to try this out.Thanks for sharing (^_^)

    Visiting from Brassy Apple,
    Nikell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them! Thanks for passing by Nikell!

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! so going to have to try this out soon!! Following from Sumo's http://thefantasticfrugal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! And, thanks for passing by! Off to visit your blog now...

      Delete
  4. Adorable! Can't wait to try it with my girls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know how they come out! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. so cute! love this one...I did pin the text one from the pinterest...but I love yours!!! I'm a lazy bump...I did a 'washi nail'..check it out and let me know what your think!http://meijosjoy.blogspot.com/2012/04/washi-tape-nail.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meijo! Your Washi Tape nails are super cute! I'd love for you to link it up to my party {either this past weeks or Thursdays}. Thanks for passing by.

      Delete
  6. Hey there! I just added myself to your followers for support and wanted to invite you to come enter a fabulous MODCLOTH giveaway I'm having right now!!

    Hope to see you there! Thanks so much!
    Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/05/giveaway-time-again.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I'm your newest follower and entered your giveaway.

      Delete
  7. ADORABLE!
    Thank you so much for visiting my party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks to you for hosting! Happy you passed by for a visit.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Mindie! Glad you passed by!

      Delete
  9. These are so much fun! I love how great it looks on shorter nails.

    Visiting from AKA Design's Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I agree, I think they also look fun with short nails. Thanks for passing by my little blog.

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness, my daughter and I will be doing this this week for sure! Totally cute idea! Thanks for the info on the clear polish too, I would have totally just applied it like normal. Great pics of Blondie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Let me know how they come out!

      Delete
  11. This is so cute! :) Thanks for sharing! Found you via The Not So Functional Housewife!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for passing by my little blog. Hope you come again soon. I'm off to your blog now...

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  12. How cute! And don't worry, my cuticles are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Sharon! It's always nice to know you're not the only one. :)

      Delete
  13. I have seen this on Pinterest and loved the idea! I love how yours turned out! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  14. I am featuring you tonight during Sticker Time! I hope to see you at the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desire, you are the best! Looking forward to seeing who else you're featuring at Sticker Time.

      ¡Gracias!

      Delete
  15. These rock - my girls would love this mani!

    Don't worry - I averted my eyes from your cuticles!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks for averting your eyes Kelly!

      Delete
  16. Your nail art has been featured for Functional Friday!

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Angela! I'm passing by to check it out now.

      Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  17. SUPER CUTE! Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {Hugs} {Hugs} {Hugs} You're the best Aimee! Thanks!

      Delete
  18. didn't work for me. maybe alcohol or paper difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Where did it go wrong? Did the image not stick?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...