Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How to make Homemade Kettle Corn

If you've got a Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Maker , you've come to the right place!

I absolutely love Kettle Corn!  

Whenever I go to the fair or to the races, Kettle Corn is a must have for me.  

A couple of Christmases ago, my friend {and neighbor} Melanie, gave me a Whirley Pop as a gift.  I was so excited!  I had never made homemade popcorn, only the expensive stuff from the box.  I think I made popcorn every week, a few times a week for months after that!

I wanted something different {I had tried all sorts of seasonings} and then I remembered...

Kettle Corn!

This was before Pinterest, so I scoured the internet for tons of different recipes to make Kettle Corn in a Whirley Pop until I found one that seemed perfect to me.  I don't have the original site I got the recipe from, but regardless, I've changed it up a bit since then.

Just one warning:  If you have a glass top stove and you don't have a Whirley Pop, do not try this as you would have to shake the pot around and you will scratch your glass top!  Trust me...

Here is my take on...



INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 Tbls. vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/2 Cup unpopped popcorn kernels {I buy the Great Value brand at Walmart}
  • 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
  • Salt to taste
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
  • Whirley Pop Popcorn Maker
  • Large bowl
  • Large spoon {wooden}


These are your ingredients: popcorn kernels, sugar, canola oil & salt.

Whirley Pop

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Have everything ready and set before you start cooking your Kettle Corn.  This is very important as once you get started, it goes very quickly!
  2. Set your stove to Med/Hi heat {or 7 like my stove}.
  3. Measure all of your ingredients (minus the oil~it's your first ingredient to "throw" in the popper.
  4. Set aside a large bowl with a large spoon {I use a wooden spoon} and your sugar & salt.
  5. Place the Whirley Pop on the burner, pour in the 3 tbls. of oil & your 1/2 cup of unpopped popcorn.  Close the lid.
  6. Stir constantly.  It will be a couple minutes of stirring before you hear your first "POP".  Once you hear that, open and quickly pour in your 1/4 cup of sugar.  
  7. Close quickly {you don't want to get hit with HOT popcorn!}
  8. Stir faster now and keep it constant.  It'll take another 30-60 seconds or so for the popcorn to really start popping quickly.
  9. Keep up the constant stirring.  Once it gets hard to stir, TURN OFF the heat, keep stirring, slowly this time.  Once it slows down to a pop or two {just like microwaving} pour the popcorn into the large bowl.
  10. Salt your popcorn a bit and toss with spoon.  Salt it a bit more and toss some more.  Taste as you go to make sure you reach your desired saltiness.  Better to do it little by little than over salt it.  You can always add but you can never go back.
  11. Your Kettle Corn will "harden" after a few seconds.  Just mix it up with the spoon and it'll break apart.
There you have it:
Homemade Kettle Corn











Have you ever made Homemade Kettle Corn?  

Do you have any other special popcorn recipes for popping in the Whirley Pop?

I'd love to hear from you.

Have a fantabulous day!

See where I party Wednesday's HERE.

Still accepting submissions for my It's a Piece O' Cake Linky Party until tonight HERE.

Don't forget to pass by starting tomorrow for It's a Piece O' Cake Linky Party #3!


21 comments:

  1. Love it and and really love your blog. Enjoy your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you come back to visit!

      Delete
  2. {New to your blog} I love kettle corn... and I really want to try and make this! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Let me know if you try it, I want to know how it comes out!

      Delete
  3. We do this with our Whirley Pop, too!!! Absolutely divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite! There's nothing like eating kettle corn to cure your craving for a savory snack. Thanks Lilly!

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    I followed you over from Wow Me Wednesday and I absolutely love Kettle Corn and so does my daughter. We'll be trying this on the weekend.

    I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Link up until Monday 4-23-12)

    Have a great day,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle, I'm so happy you found my blog! I'm looking forward to looking through yours, I'm your newest follower!

      Let me know how it comes out when you make the kettle corn with your daughter. Thanks for the invite to your party. I linked up a few things and will be grabbing a button in the morning to add to my party list!

      Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. I found you on the Saturday blog hop. I love your blog, and I'm a new follower. I think I need to get a whirly-pop...homemade kettle corn? Yum! It's nice to meet you, I'd love for you to come visit me at Worst Mom Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I'm so happy you found my blog! I visited yours and am your newest follower!

      When you get the Whirley Pop and make your first batch of kettle corn let me know! It's so delicious!

      Nice to "meet" you as well. Come back soon.

      Delete
  6. I love me some popcorn! Thanks for sharing how to make Kettle Corn. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it! Thanks again for hosting!

      Delete
  7. I love my Whirley Pop and make this ALL the time! I add the sugar in at the same time as the oil and kernels and it all works out in the end. So yummy!! I HATE bag popcorn now. No way would I ever make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I never thought to do that {only because the recipe I had found added the sugar after the popping started} but I will definitely give it a try! Thanks Karyn!

      I will never buy bag popcorn ever again...the taste is not at all like fresh popcorn! And it's so much more expensive as well!

      Thanks for passing by my little blog. I'm off to check yours out now...

      Delete
  8. Great post! Will have to try this recipe. My kids love kettle corn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know how you like it when you make it. Thanks for visiting, hope you pass by again!

      Delete
  9. Melissa, Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! My kids and I found a Whirley Pop the other day for $2.99 at Goodwill. It was unused and still had the instruction manual with it. We have been making popcorn almost every day since then. :-) I can't wait to try making kettle corn. It's my absolute favorite! Found you through It's Overflowing. I'm now following and look forward to seeing more of your delightful blog. Have a terrific night!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment Sharla! I really hope that you enjoy the recipe with your little ones. Let me know how it comes out! Hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for posting this! Just made our first batch of Kettle Corn for our first outdoor movie night in the backyard. My 5-year-old daughter exclaimed, "I love this!" and said it tasted "rare." I asked her what she meant by that & she said "like something you don't taste all the time." You've made some new Kettle Corn fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so so happy to have new Kettle Corn fans! I just as happy your family loved it and found it "rare"! LOL!

      Happy 4th of July!

      {Hugs}

      Delete
  11. Just tried this recipe, and oh my gosh. It's delicious! and like Karyn said she did, I put the sugar in at the beginning with everything and it worked out all right.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...