Sunday, April 15, 2012

Look at where Dump Cake got us!

How was your weekend?


Bet you're wondering why the title of this post is "Look at where Dump Cake got us!"?  I will get to that later...

If you didn't see Friday's post {where I featured my first guest blogger: Erin from How to Nest for Less} right at the end I wrote a short comment on my husband having surgery that morning.  

The surgery went well.  Locke had more pain than either of us expected {he said you couldn't pay him $10,000 to do this again} but we had great nurses who helped manage his pain fairly well.  He was supposed to be discharged on Saturday, but we are still here today and should be discharged this morning.  I know it was the best decision under the circumstances.  Saturday night the pain was unbearable for a couple of hours and Sunday he woke up thinking that on top of everything else he may have an inner ear infection {he's had over 50 in his adult life and they are unbearable for him}.  

Luckily, my {wonderful} parents only live 15 minutes away and are taking care of Mia & Zoe while I'm at the hospital taking care of Locke.  Kelsey {Locke's 18 year old} loved staying home alone, watching Netflix, being in PJ's all day long and not cleaning.  

I snuck a few photos with my Hipstamatic App in the hospital room on Saturday while Locke was resting.

Here's my happy self Saturday morning.  Happy because...



...I was drinking a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato!


My Mac is part of what kept me busy during down time.


Locke was desperate to sleep, but for those of you who have had hospital stays before, you know that's pretty hard with the countless ways you are interrupted.  You are being monitored by Techs checking your vitals and Nurses coming in with medications constantly.  Locke never complained about the latter!





Back to the title, "Look at where Dump Cake got us!"

Wondering what that means?

Have you ever heard of Dump Cake?  Have you ever had it?

If not, you are missing out!

I've scoured Pinterest and have found all sorts of versions of Dump Cake.  It's kind of like a cobbler and we eat it warm out of the oven with vanilla ice cream.  Mine is super easy.  {I'll do a quick tutorial on April 24th~our dating anniversary.  Yes, we celebrate it by eating Dump Cake!}

Over 10 years ago now, Locke and I had met through a group of mutual friends in Puerto Rico.  We all hung out together on a weekly basis {sometimes daily} going to the beach, having bonfires, exploring the island, having barbeques...

It was the life.

So, one night we were having a barbeque at a friends house and everyone was bringing something to share.  Meats, side dishes, drinks, snacks but there was no dessert.  I was all over it.  I went to the grocery store to buy the ingredients needed for the Dump Cake {5 including the ice cream} and got to baking.  When it was done and out of the oven, there were 3 or 4 guys surrounding me in the kitchen waiting for a bowl!  I guess the aroma called them in!  

So I served them all a bowl, Locke being one of the guys {we were just friends at the time} and  as soon as he took a bite, his eyes went wide and kinda cross eyed {like Paula Deen} and he said to me, 

"Oh my God, I think I'm gonna have to marry you someday!"

Yes, he said that.

Needless to say, the Dump Cake was a hit and was gone in a flash.

A couple of months later we crossed paths {each of us on the way to work} and we stopped to say a quick hello to each other.  Locke asked me when I was going to make him Dump Cake again and I said, "If you want, I can make it for you tonight!"

That night, I went over to his house with the ingredients and he was making me dinner, home made Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo.  It was delicious!  For dessert, of course there was Dump Cake! 

Since then, we've always said that Dump Cake was what brought us together.

A year and seven months later we were married.  
November 29th, 2003.


Locke couldn't wear his ring during surgery or after because of swelling so I've been wearing it on a necklace.  I will have to tell you the story of the third ring I wear {the one with the 3 diamonds} later.  It's a pretty funny one. 

I hate seeing Locke in this pain.  I wish I could take it away from him.  I'm happy we have each other to take care of one another.  I am blessed to be sitting by his side.

Thank you to my parents for taking care of Mia & Zoe.  Thank you to our friends who have lovingly offered their help by running errands and their offers to watch the girls.  Thank you to our family and friends who have had us in their thoughts and prayers.  

It really means a lot to the both of us.

We are blessed to have you in our lives.



See where I party Monday's here.


Don't forget to link up to It's a Piece O' Cake Linky Party #2 here.
Accepting submissions until Wednesday.


P.S. I created a new banner this weekend, but I'm not sure if I like the letters better in blue or grey.  What do you think?




4 comments:

  1. letters in blue! and by the way loved the story, hope Locke gets better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the surgery went smoothly and Locke is doing well..
    As for the dump cake I am off to pinterst and google to find out what this is and how to make it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hena! We are home and Locke has been resting up.

      Don't forget to pass by on the 24th so you can get my spin on Dump Cake!

      BTW, I'm your newest follower! Thanks for passing by.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...