Sunday, April 22, 2012

PHASE 1: Abi's Craft Room Makeover

While the boys are out of town, the girls will got out, shop {at IKEA} and decorate!
My mom {known as Abi by her granddaughters} has been wanting me to help her decorate/organize her craft room for awhile now.  My parents have been in their home for almost two years now and little by little they have been buying new furniture and decorating.  
After 30 years of marriage and countless moves around the country {my father was in the military} you accumulate a lot of stuff!  Sometimes you don't really realize it until you're packing or unpacking a home.  I've been helping my mom purge a lot of things that they have been holding onto for many years.  
Recently, they bought new living room and dining room furniture and they also bought two dressers for my moms craft room for storage.

Abi has been wanting to create a gallery of photos on the bare wall where the two dressers are in her craft room, so that's where we decided to start.  
Saturday, Abi, the little ones & I went to IKEA.  That's where she wanted to go and buy picture frames to help fill the wall.  Who am I to complain?  After roaming the first floor and getting some ideas, we sat down to have lunch.  Then down we went to start filling that big, beautiful yellow bag of IKEA goodies.  
Never a dull moment with the girls of course.  I don't think I have ever been to IKEA and felt like I wanted to leave, but Saturday was one of those days.  I don't like to go on the weekends because it's usually so crowded.  On weekdays, the girls can run around a bit {I love how family friendly they are} but it was just not that kind of day.  As we were walking out of the store, it started raining.  I left my mom & the girls curbside and ran to the car.  As I got in, it started pouring.  Thank goodness for curbside pick-up parking at IKEA!

Enough of that.
This is what we started with:
Abi wanted all the frames on her wall to be black.  She had some frames that she wanted to use, so we took them apart, primed them and painted them {all while moving the frames from one location to another as it started to rain!}.


Here is what we ended up with.  I'm thinking we need a few more frames to fill the entire wall up.  What do you say Mami?  Is another trip to IKEA in store?  Or maybe antiquing or junking for some older ones?
Actually, there was a little change...


It's not in this picture.


You can kinda see it in the next picture.  If you see the largest photo {of my little brother} there are two photos to the left of it in the pic above and three to the left in the pic below.  We kinda felt something was missing there so we moved a few frames around.  There wasn't very good light, so I couldn't get a great photo of it, but you will see the change in PHASE 2.  


These are two of my favorites that went up.  My parents back in the day and myself {I'm thinking maybe around 4 years old}.


The flowers and vase my mom also picked up in IKEA.

 Well, that's PHASE 1: Abi's Craft Room Makeover.
Abi and I may continue on PHASE 2 tomorrow or Tuesday.  I'm looking forward to it!  The other main project will be a closet makeover.  That's gonna be a big one!
What did you do this weekend?
See where I party Monday's HERE.

P.S.  Here's a mini collage of my crazy girls as Abi & I were working on the mini makeover.

8 comments:

  1. The room looks messier than in the pictures. Oh! No! Que revolu...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's gonna look great when we are done! Love you Mami!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is and also to let you know that I am now following you. Please drop by my blog and check it out and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chris! Thanks for passing by my blog. Glad you liked what you saw. I'm new to the blogging world and am having a lot of fun! I'm off to your blog now.

      Thanks for being a follower!

      Delete
  3. Great gallery wall, Melissa!! I know your mom must be enjoying it. Great photos, too....I'm working on a gallery wall now, too, and the photo choices are the most difficult (but fun part) of it all. Thanks so much for linking up.

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi! We still have to buy more frames to fill up the wall, but it's looking good so far. I'm looking forward to being in a new home and decorating it.

      Gallery walls are fun. My husband and I like to change out the pictures every so often. We always leave the old pics behind the new ones {his idea} and remember the "old" times.

      I'm kind of in a stand still with decorating in our house now since we are moving soon. I'm sure there will be a lot more posts starting at the end of summer when we are in the new place.

      Hope you are having a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. Oh I totally understand about waiting to decorate a new house...it will be like a fun, blank canvas! Oh, and I totally do the same things with photos in frames...it's so fun to go back through them and see the old ones.

      I just had to feature this wall at this week's party! Hope you can swing by! ;)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Kristi! That's so sweet of you! I'm swinging by now...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...