Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Crisco Fried Chicken, OH MY!

The other night, Locke and I were wondering what we were going to have for dinner?  He had just woken up from an afternoon nap and was lying in bed when he said, "Do you want me to make fried chicken?"  

Uh...yes!

But there was no movement.  

So, I took it upon myself to look for a recipe.  I have never made "real" fried chicken before.  I've always been afraid of frying so not much of it gets done around here.  

My friend, Mel, and I watched The Help a couple of months ago and ever since then we have wanted to make Crisco Fried Chicken!  So, of course, I went to Pinterest to run a search for Crisco Fried Chicken and found this recipe on the Crisco website here.

I had everything I needed so I got to it.  The first thing was to get the Crico into a heavy duty pot and get it to the right temp.  I knew the hardest part for me was going to be keeping the temperature of the oil consistent {and it was!} I took out our new digital thermometer and my first reading was way hi!  The recipe calls for 365º temp.  Once I got it there, I was golden.

Here is what you will need for 

Crisco Crispy Fried Chicken
Recipe Via Crisco.com

INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 lbs. of chicken cut into pieces {I used boneless/skinless thighs whole}


  • SEASONED FLOUR
  • 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning

  • BATTER
  • 1 1/3 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  •  Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for deep frying



INSTRUCTIONS:

1. For Seasoned Flour: combine flour, garlic salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning in shallow bowl or pie plate. 

  1. 2.  For Batter: combine flour, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Whisk together egg and water. Gradually stir into flour mixture.

  2. 3.  Rinse chicken with cold running water. Working in small batches, coat moistened chicken with seasoned flour; shake off excess. Using tongs, dip into batter to coat. Coat again with seasoned flour mixture. Place chicken pieces on wire rack while coating remaining chicken.

  3. 4.  Heat 2 inches oil to 365°F in Dutch oven or deep fryer. Place half of the chicken in hot oil, skin side down. Cover and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until deep golden brown. Turn chicken over and continue cooking, uncovered, an additional 6 to 8 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165°F. Drain on paper towels. Repeat to cook remaining chicken.

  4. This is what I got!


  1. I have to say, for my first time ever making crispy fried chicken, I did a helluva job!  It was flavorful and juicy.  Perfectly crispy!  



Yes, I'm proud of it and I'm not afraid to say it!


See where I party Tuesday's HERE.


4 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    This looks AMAZING! You did a great job. I Love, love, love The Help. And when they are cooking the fried chicken; my favorite scene! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great day.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was amazing! I wish I had actually come up with the recipe.

      The Help has to be one of my favorite movies, and that is definitely my favorite scene {and of course the one with the chocolate pie...HEHEHEHE!}

      Delete
  2. I have been making fried chicken for 20 years, thanks to an old neighbor who taught me a similar method to this. The only difference is that I do flour, then an egg mixture and then back in the flour. But as far as cooking, the method is the same. When you cover the chicken with the lid, it steams the chicken and makes for the most moist chicken you could ever hope for. I always just do 10 with the lid and 10 without and it always comes out perfectly. Yum. We can only make it a couple of times a year because of the calories, but it is something that we look for and something that my Northern relatives always request when they come for a visit.

    Oh, and if you can get yourself a cast iron skillet, it is hands down the best for cooking in. I have one that was from my husband's grandmother and I have a lid from another pot that fits it perfectly.

    Glad you had such success on your first try. I had a lot of flops until my neighbor intervened!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tips Jenny! We hardly ever fry, so this was a treat for us as well. I have a cast iron skillet that a friend gave us but I have yet to clean and treat it. Next time I will make sure to try it using that!

      Glad you passed by my little blog! Off to see yours now...

      Hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...