Monday, May 7, 2012

Pillows with invisible zippers, OH MY! {& reupholsterd chairs!}

I'm so proud of myself!  Yes, I am!

I don't have a sewing machine of my own, otherwise, I would be much better than I am.  


I know that for a fact.

But, I did a good job!

Did you see my Wednesday post?  Project Sneak Peak?

Here the pic I gave you a little peak of to show you what I was working on.


It's not some amazing transformation by any means, but I'm proud of it!  Four dining room chairs, with piping, and seven pillows, six of them with invisible zippers I might add! 







The pillows were possible because of this video:




I decided I didn't even want to try a tutorial for these pillows.  Danika from Gorgeous Shiny Things and Cheryle put together this video titled "How to Make a Pillow with an Invisible Zipper while Drinking Mojitos" which of course had me at Hello!  I could not do better than they had.  I especially knew I had found the right video tutorial when I saw these ladies drinking Mojitos while sewing.  I drank Corona Lights while sewing!   Danika also posted about it in her blog.  


You'll also see that there is a new piece of furniture in our home.  I went into one of our local antique shops earlier this week and found this bench.  After I brought it home, Locke realized it was broken {argh!}. It's all better now after being glued and tightened up.  Right now it's au natural, but I have plans for it once we get into our new place and it has it's new home.  I also made her a little pillow out of a leftover piece of fabric and an old pillow form.  She needed some love too!


The dining room chairs turned out to be the easiest part of the project.  It took forever to pull out the million staples!  Once the chairs were bare, I cut out the new fabric pieces and got to stapling.  I started by stapling the middle of each side of the chair and then the corners.  Then I gently pulled on the remainding fabric {careful not to pull too hard and create "dents" on the sides and stapled every 1/2 inch to 1 inch.



After the chairs were covered, I measured the new cord for the piping along the old one and then cut 3 inch {or so} wide strips of fabric.  I used the zipper foot attachment on the sewing machine when sewing the piping.  All I did was place the cord in the middle of the fabric strip, fold the fabric over evenly, and sew as close to the cord as possible.  Easy peasy!  



It was just as easy to staple the cord onto the edge of the chair.  To finish the chairs off, I used the same black liner that was on them before to recover the bottom so they looked nice and neat.  All I did to the black liner was trim the edges where the staples had been.  That was it!  It took awhile to get the chairs completed, but it was not hard by any means.







There you go.  My completed projects! 

What kind of new things have you tried in this fun DIY world lately?

Hope you had a fabulous weekend!

See where I party Mondays HERE.

28 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    Fabulous job on the pillows and the chairs too. I have reupholstered many chairs and removing all those staples is a pain, but the end results are sure worth it!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! It was an adventure for sure. I'm very happy with how they turned out. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  2. What lovely work! The pillows turned out so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I think they did also. So happy you passed by my little blog. Now I'm off to yours...

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. You aren't crazy - you are awesome! The chairs are fantastic as are the pillows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thanks Laurel! It was sure fun to do. I feel I accomplished something big! Haha! I'm so happy your passed by and commented. Now I'm off to your blog!

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. What a great job! I am totally impressed (not surprised, you got skills girls). Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks Katie! I'm very happy with how they turned out, especially for it being my first time.

      Delete
  5. GORGEOUS!!! Love the antique bench too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Colleen! I love the choices you are making for your new home. Those curtains of yours are amazing! Maybe I'll have to convince Locke that painting chevrons on our curtains is a good idea! ;-)

      Delete
  6. You did a fabulous job with those pillows, they look beautiful!!!!! And I love the fabrics that you picked out, too! Beautiful! I love how new pillows just instantly freshen up a room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do instantly freshen up a room, don't they? Thanks Maria!

      Delete
  7. You did an amazing job with the pillows Melissa and those chairs look like they were professionally upholstered with the cording. All the fabrics are gorgeous too!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you Mary! The fabrics were my first choice and I'm so happy I chose them. I can't wait to do more projects like this.

      Delete
  8. I'm very proud of you! You did an amazing job. I've been sawing for a long time and I never put on a zipper, this was your first attempt and you did it. Wow!! Yes, you are crazy good. Beautiful, keep up the good job.

    Love always Mom : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mami! I've learned from the best. :) Love you!

      Delete
  9. Love the new chair covers -- cute fabric. Piping is a nice touch, looks so professional! I about killed my sewing machine a few weeks ago, sewing piping for a slipcover. I think I'll stick to pillows from now on!
    Keep up the great work!
    Karen @ ItsAllGoodHome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen! Did you do a tutorial for the slipcover? I was thinking about buying some for my couches.

      So happy you passed by my little blog! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. this is awesome.. I love the pillows fabric.. Thanks for the easy tutorial and linking up at friday fun party
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Hani! I hope you have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  11. Wow, you've been busy! The pillows are so pretty--love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! I love the colors too!

      I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  12. Those pillows are amazing! And I adore the recovered chairs! The piping is the perfect touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Karen! Thank you very much. The piping was my husbands idea. I didn't think I could do it, but it was very simple.

      Thanks for stopping by and visiting. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! The fabrics were the first ones that caught my eye at the fabric store. I think I made a good choice.

      Delete
  14. Your pillows have been featured for Functional Friday!

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you're so sweet! Thank you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...