Monday, March 18, 2013

oh, to be back in our home

Now that we are back in Florida, all I can think of is being back in our house.  We returned from Indiana earlier than anticipated and the family renting our house will be there until October.  Yup, you read that right.  October.  Until then, my parents {they are amazing} are letting us stay with them.  We are only 15 minutes away from our house and have already driven by a handful of times.  Total creepers, maybe, but I don't care!

Less than a month ago, I read a post written by Ashley Ann over at Under the Sycamore.  If you have not read her blog before, I strongly encourage you to do so.  I always leave her blog smiling and extremely inspired and encouraged.  Ashley Ann's post, a home.  a refuge., opened with a quote by Emilie Barnes that read:

"A welcoming home is where real life happens.  It's where personalities are nurtured, where growth is stimulated, where people feel free not only to be themselves but also to develop their best selves.  That caring, nurturing quality - not the absence of noise or strife - is what makes a home a refuge."

Locke and I have always wanted our home to be one that friends and family could walk into and feel as if they were at home.  As if they could sit down on the couch with their feet up.  Where they could open up the fridge or pantry without asking first.  Where they feel as if they could sit back and relax without a worry in the world.  

I want those things first and foremost for our daughters.  I want to nurture their personalities.  I want them to be stimulated on a daily basis.  I want them to always feel like they can be themselves without fear of reproach.  I want them to have a home full of laughter.  I want our home to be a refuge for them.

 I want them to always know that they are loved.


Our role as parents is never over.  There is always something that we can do to be better for our children.  I know there are things that I need to work on to be a better mother to my little ones.  I need to work on having more patience.  I also need to work on just enjoying them and all the "little moments".  Are there really any little moments when our children are involved?!

I don't think so.

So, take the time to enjoy the big moments.  Before you know it, years will have passed and we will have missed out on so much.  Memories that we can never get back.  


4 comments:

  1. Yay for a new blog post! I'm sure it must be driving you crazy to not be able to be in your house. But with the way time flies it will be October before you know it. :) And I totally agree about moments with our kids...they are ALL big moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, on everything! I know you are right about the time flying by. We've already been here for about a week and a half and it feels like we just got here yesterday. My parents are wonderful, and we will love being here with them, but theres nothing like being in your own home. Especially when you're like me and you like to shop and and find treasures for your home. And paint. And... LOL!

      I have to tell you, you've been an inspiration to me whether you know it or not. You're a momma who juggles a job, a blog, lot's of DIY and crafts. If you can do it, so can I! Thanks for rockin' it all!

      Delete
  2. beautifully said.. miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! We miss you guys too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...